In 2017, when I discovered Wagtail CMS, I found no good tutorials for people to learn - just the official docs and some repos on Github.
So I started writing a Wagtail Tutorial Series on my blog, which teaches people how to build projects using Wagtail CMS.
Now the series contains nearly 30 blog posts, and many people benefit from them.
I also received much invaluable user feedback:
- How to make Wagtail work with modern frontend tech such as
- How to run unit tests in Wagtail projects
- How to use Wagtail's REST API backend.
People ask because they can not find good tutorials online to help them solve the above problems, so I think maybe I can help them when I have time.
After finishing my Django Celery book (which I wrote with Michael Herman from testdriven.io - it will be published soon), I realized it was time to do it.
My goal is to build a course that teaches people to develop an SPA (single-page application) from scratch.
I listed the pain points from feedback first, and then I wrote an outline that helped people solve them step by step. (I do not want the learning curve to be steep).
When the outline seemed good to me, I started writing the tutorial series.
Since I am a freelance developer and have regular work to do, I usually write the course on the weekend. So I am more productive.
I spent about 4 months finishing the draft version.
After that, I reviewed the course several times to fix typos, coding bugs and other stuff.
When all work was done, I published the course on Leanpub.com.
The name of the course is Build SPA with React and Wagtail
Here I want to say thanks to my wife and lovely son, I could not have finished it without your support, and I can finally delete it from my to-do list. 😀
Is it FREE?
NO, it is a paid course
Giving the course a price can force me to keep the course as high quality as possible.
This course will teach you how to build a
SPA (single-page application) using
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
Docker Composeto do development
- Build a REST API for Wagtail CMS
- Use the Django shell to test code and check data.
- Test the REST API and generate test coverage report
- Use the
factorypackage to help create test data
- Build a React app from
- Understand React Components and the component lifecycle
- Understand React router
Storybookto develop React Components
- Test React components and the frontend app
React appwork with Wagtail preview
- Deploy the production app to DigitalOcean
- A PDF ebook which contains about 30 chapters.
- 10+ screenshots and 7 diagrams, all created by me.
- The source code of the project created in this course.
The live demo is also available if you want to check.
Table of Contents
- Setup project
- Dockerizing Wagtail App
- Add Blog Models to Wagtail
- Build REST API with Django REST Framework
- Build REST API for Wagtail Page
- UnitTest REST API (Part 1)
- UnitTest REST API (Part 2)
- Setup frontend project
- Dockerizing React project
- Build React Component with StoryBook
- Add SCSS support to React project
- Building React Component (Part 1)
- Building React Component (Part 2)
- Building React Component (Part 3)
- React Router (Part 1)
- React Router (Part 2)
- Build App Component
- Unittest React Component (Part 1)
- Unittest React Component (Part 2)
- Integrate Frontend App with REST API
- Add Preview Support to React project
- Deploy REST API
- Deploy Storybook
- Deploy React app
- REST API FAQ
- Frontend FAQ